Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Tis the Season

Slip back into the nostalgic past of middle school fairs, or if you’re from NOLA like me, crawfish boils. Food stands, death-defying rides (looking at you, Zipper), arts and crafts booths, and throngs of joyful families basking in the momentary bliss of funnel cake and raffle tickets. Now replace the foods you know with pupusas, fried chicken and tortillas, and all manner of meats being grilled on the plancha. Take the sweet, childish rides you once knew and exchange them for the same ones, just twenty years older, covered in rust, and plastered with caricatures of nearly naked, extremely bodacious women. And finally, multiply the crowds you’re used to by a factor of 5 and imagine inhaling an atmosphere composed entirely of B.O. and farts as you squeeze through a vast sea of seemingly unmoving people. Now you’re at a Guatemalan feria!


Currently, Guatemala is in feria season – a wonderful time where small towns and big cities get to leave behind their troubles and celebrate their home pride with gusto. Most ferias in Guate are a multi-day event that includes a parade, a concert, and of course the aforementioned fair scene. Intense crowds, the cries of vendors auctioning off their products, and the smells of fried foods are just some of the things you can expect to encounter at every Guatemalan feria. And let us not forget the Ferris Wheels of death. As rusted and rickety as they are, I can only imagine that they were retired from use in the States and sent to Guatemala for another few years of perilous diversion. It is impossible to describe fully the overwhelming blend of smells, sounds, and emotions one can experience in just an hour of feria.

   

Guatemalans celebrate the various patron saints of their hometowns by hosting these enormous parties around the days the saints first appeared to the Spanish colonists telling them to settle in the spots that hundreds of years later would become the towns I know and love today. Town members go all out to celebrate these metaphysical miracle makers. Town streets can be seen adorned with colorful decorations, churches hold elaborate mass ceremonies, families host large feasts, and nearly all governmental offices and services are temporarily shut down. Ferias are extremely important cultural and religious festivities in the lives of Guatemalans. They are dreamed about, planned for, and the focus of sentimental storytelling throughout the year. With their focus on history, religion, giving thanks, and enjoying the latest trends in music and pop culture, feria represents the past, present, and future all in one. The nuances that exist in each feria – the foods served, the products sold, and the colors used to embellish the streets – represent the identity and individuality of the place. All in all, feria is a time for drinking, eating, dancing, playing, and of course praying.

   

During my first year in Guatemala, I’ve had the pleasure of attending three ferias thus far: Xela (aka Quetzaltenango), Totonicapán, and San Miguel Dueñas. Within my first hour at Xela feria, I was robbed blind of nearly all of my valuables, including my phone, wallet, keys, and Twix bar. I want to be clear: it was awful. I felt dumb and helpless, and very lost and scared in a foreign city with no money and no means of communication. But it was also an incredible reminder of how fortunate I am to be surrounded by people that go above and beyond to look after me. I am forever indebted to my mom for wiring me money and canceling my cards, to my friends for buying all my food and drank, and to Don Rafael who offered to drive me three hours home in the pouring rain. You all remind me how truly beautiful the human experience can be.

                                                        

Other than that blip, my time at the three ferias was amazing! In Xela, I almost vomited on a crowd of unsuspecting Guatemalans as I raced towards death on a Ferris Wheel that likely reached speeds capable of breaking the sound barrier. In Totonicapán, I accidentally marched in the parade, lost and confused as I tried to find my way to the bus terminal. Let’s just say A LOT of people waved at us and they were probably laughing with us not at us. And I got to bring my indigenous host mom to Dueñas to celebrate feria there with my ladino host family. My time at feria has been a small, but extremely powerful look into the gorgeous complexities of Guatemalan life. Eating and blundering my way through the celebrations provided me a firsthand account of the true joy Guatemalans take in celebrating their history and religion. Talking to excited feria-goers opened up a world of fellowship, where no matter your origins we are all Guatemalans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment